A few days ago I saw someone asking for a writing sample of this question below. It is not an easy question, as the topic is not very common. However, as an IELTS teacher I know that museums is a topic that is tested from time to time. Questions in DET are actually similar to IELTS.
Here are some useful ideas for a 50-word writing question (taken from my e-book Quick Guide to DET Writing, which will be released soon)
Introduction: Nowadays, museums have become popular tourist destinations. Tourists visit museums for several reasons, which will be explained below.
My tip: Focus on what museums can offer to tourists. Below are some of the useful phrases and expressions that can help you answer the questions.
To begin with there are a variety of interesting things that can be found in museums.
- museum exhibits
- historical relics
- A lot of useful educational resources / content such as museum guides (in multiple languages) and recorded commentaries (in multiple languages)
- Some museums host re-enactment of major historical events.
- Museums provide visitors with a wide range of first-hand information on society, science, technology, history and the environment.
- Museums provide visitors with multi-sensory, stimulating learning experiences.
- Museums are critical repositories of culture and heritage of a country.
- Museums help young people to understand and appreciate their history and culture and take pride in the achievements of their ancestors.
Examples of great museums in the world:
- The British Museum (London)
- Le Louvre (Paris)
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art (New York)
Photo by Michael Fousert on Unsplash